Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Little Man on the Prairie

If you check back to our book list here, you will see that Ethan has been very interested in Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Little House" series. We started the first one "Little House in the Big Woods" during the flood. It was in a rescue box of books from the Lien household and was Sara's book. I had never read any of these books, although I did get "The Long Winter" from my second grade teacher, Mrs. Larson. I didn't make it past Chapter 2; the book was still dog-earred from 24 years ago.

I didn't expect Ethan to enjoy the first book at all. Proof that you should always give things a try! He loved it and we went on to my book from elementary school. That is the 6th book. Proof that you should always read series books in order! Mary was blind, there was another baby! When, how, why?!

So, after that one, we went back in order and Ethan has loved each book and has now started from the beginning reading them with Chris. We have 3 books left to go. We are also planning a trip this weekend to De Smet, SD to see the Ingalls homestead, some of their homes. I love his fascination with this and will do anything to nurture whatever he's into. -RL

No comments: