Thursday, August 30, 2007

Taking a bite out of education...


Tuesday I returned to the wonderful world of secondary educating with a bevy of "helpful" workshops designed to kickstart hundreds of teachers into didactic action! Most workshops are fairly boring as they leave very little time for teachers to work in their classrooms or do collaborative work with each other. Yesterday's workshop was different. Via webcam we were treated to a speech/demonstration of how and why to use Apple technology in our classrooms and schools. The presentation was equal parts "Let's show old teachers that being old is dangerous" and "If you don't adopt this technology, China will rule the world with a giant robot fist". Anyway, it was interesting in that it inspired me to take action with technology in my classroom, even if none of us have been properly trained. Blogging, iPods, facebook, and dozens of other things I had never heard of (folksomony? googlejockeying?) are not tools for education anymore. They are supposedly parts of the ubiquitous environment anyone born after 1982 is easily comfortable within. Regardless, I came away with some killer diller ideas I will try this year using blogs and podcasting. Maybe they'll bomb. Maybe they'll succeed. I have to try something new and lord knows these kids might be left behind otherwise. I wonder what Auntie Mary Lou would say about that.... -C.L.

3 comments:

Iguana Banana said...

Chris
I, too, have been in-serviced to a mind numbing state of sheer apathy. (Is that a sentence? It sounded really good in my mind, but as I reread it, it made very little sense any more.)
I would love to have taken that technology workshop. If you've got stuff to share, I'd love to know about it.
Have a great last weekend of summer and a successful first day back to the salt mines
Ahna

. . . said...

It sounds great. I can only imagine what it would've been like to take advantage of things like blogging and podcasting in high school! Enjoy your long weekend and your return to the school year!

Iguana Banana said...

chris
thank you for the really wonderful words of encouragement that you left on my blog. It really meant a lot to me that you said all of those wonderful things.
A